LORD WANTS TO HELP YOU OVERCOME FEAR (Matthew 8:2-3)
Exodus 3:7-8 The Lord said, “I have indeed seen the misery of my people in Egypt. I have heard them crying out because of their slave drivers, and I am concerned about their suffering. 8 So I have come down to rescue them from the hand of the Egyptians and to bring them up out of that land into a good and spacious land, a land flowing with milk and honey…
THE LORD IS ABLE TO HELP YOU OVERCOME FEAR (Jeremiah 32:17)
Psalm 34:4 I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he rescued me from all my fears.
HOW TO OVERCOME FEAR
- Go to God for protection, comfort, and help (Proverbs 18:10; Psalm 34:4)
Psalm 27:1 The LORD is my light and my salvation— whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life— of whom shall I be afraid?
- Fill yourself with the love of God (1 John 4:18)
Romans 8:38-39 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- Trust in the Lord (Psalm 56:3-4)
Proverbs 29:25 Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is kept safe.
- Ask the Lord to fill you with the Holy Spirit (Acts 4:29, 31)
2 Timothy 1:7 For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.
- Realize that earthly enemies have limited power compared to the power of the Lord (Psalm 118:6; Hebrews 13:6)
Deuteronomy 20:1 “When you go out to war against your enemies, and see horses and chariots and an army larger than your own, you shall not be afraid of them, for the Lord your God is with you, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt.
- Depend on the grace of God so that, though you are weak, you become strong and are able to overcome the trials and temptations (2 Corinthians 12:9)
Romans 5:20 …..But where sin increased, grace increased all the more,
- Realize that, if you are a son or daughter of God, the Lord will protect you and take care of you (Romans 8:15)
Matthew 10:29 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. 30 But even the hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.
- Know that you are blessed even if you suffer for doing what is right (1 Peter 3:13-14)
Revelation 2:10 Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Behold, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and for ten days you will have troubles. Be faithful to the point of death, and I will give you the crown of life.
- Live a righteous life (Psalms 112:6-8)
Psalm 34:19 The righteous person may have many troubles, but the Lord rescues him from them all
- Fear the Lord and eternal consequences instead of man and temporary consequences (Proverbs 19:23)
Luke 12:4 “I tell you, my friends, do not fear those who kill the body, and after that have nothing more that they can do. 5 But I will warn you whom to fear: fear him who, after he has killed, has authority to cast into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him!
- Be assured that the Lord is with you wherever you go (Joshua 1:9)
Psalm 23:4 Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
- Know that the Lord will help, sustain, and protect you until your mission on this earth is complete (1 Chronicles 28:20)
Deuteronomy 3:22 You shall not fear them, for it is the Lord your God who fights for you.’
- Pray instead of worry or be afraid (Philippians 4:6-7)
SOME PRACTICAL STRATEGIES
- Constantly think of good and godly things instead of focusing on bad things in the world (Philippians 4:6-8)
- Do something practical to remove the reasons for fear (James 2:26)
- Don’t be ashamed to ask for help, if there’s a desperate need (John 16:24)
2 Thessalonians 3:1 As for other matters, brothers and sisters, pray for us that the message of the Lord may spread rapidly and be honored, just as it was with you. 2 And pray that we may be delivered from wicked and evil people, for not everyone has faith.